Nathaniel Littell Sr. ~ Connection to Revolutionary War Patriot Nathaniel Littell
Research by William Littell.
Connection to Revolutionary War Patriot
Nathaniel Littell Sr.
LFA member Bill Littell has shared his research connecting his family line to that of Nathaniel Littell (Little) Sr., who served as a private in Capt. Silas Howell’s Company in the 1st New Jersey Regiment during the American Revolution. His service was from Elizabethton to Perth Amboy per Bill’s letter, based on records from the War Department, Washington, D.C., record of active service from the state of NJ.
Bill’s research adds more information on this line as outlined in Chapter 5 of The Littell Families History & Genealogy, by Judge Noble Littell.
- Charles Edwin Littell b. Jan. 22, 1853 Middletown, OH; d. Sept. 21, 1926 Osceola, IA; and Ida Ellen Hargrove b. Feb. 1, 1860 Anderson, IN; d. Feb. 7, 1955 Osceola, IA; married Nov. 15, 1881.
- Winans W. Littell b. Sept. 18, 1820 Middletown, OH; d. Oct. 8, 1884 Middletown, OH; and Huldah Noble b. May 23, 1823 Middletown, OH; d. Aug. 10, 1876 Middletown, OH; married Oct. 21, 1847.
- James Littell b. June 17, 1773 Boundbrook, NJ; d. Jan. 13, 1836 Middletown, OH; and Mary M. Winans b. Feb. 14, 1799 NJ d. Jan. 5, 1871 Middletown, OH; married May 8, 1817.
- Nathaniel Littell Jr. b. ca. 1760-63 at prob. NJ; d. Middletown OH; and Catherine Corsner b. ca. 1760-63 Monmouth Co., NJ. (Nathaniel was the 7th son of Nathaniel Sr., Patriot.)
- Nathaniel Littell Sr. b. 1733 Essex County, NJ; died March 16, 1796 Essex County, NJ; and Susan Colie b. Springfield, NJ.
Nathaniel Sr. and Susan Colie were married ca. 1746. They had 11 children:
Henry, William (who died in the Revolutionary War), James (m. Jane Dumont), John b. 1757 (m. Betsy Montogue, or Montayne, per Judge Littell), Benjamin, Noah (m. Jane Gildersleeve), Nathaniel Jr. (m. Catherine Corsner), Aaron (m. Sarah Dickerson) and Mary (m. Hobart Jewel).
Among Bill’s sources:
Genealogies of the First Settlers of Passaic Valley (1852) by John Littell.
Two letters from probate court, Hamilton and Butler counties, OH, with the spelling of names in receipts.
Estate papers of Winans W. Littell, showing heirs-in-law.
Birth, marriage and death certificates; obituary notices.
Littell researchers also may find the following links helpful:
http://www.westfieldnjhistory.com/files/lr27.htm (multiple Littell marriages, births and deaths)
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=1976054 (God’s Little Acre Cemetery in Scotch Plains, NJ, which lists interments for Anthony 1783; Dr. Anthony 1798; Fanna M. 1798; Amos 1823; Catherine 1813; Susanna 1790; Henry 1780; Sarah 1779; and Sarah 1799.)